Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pollack Breaks the Record

In my recent Picasso Musings post I mentioned that I'd love to have a Jackson Pollack painting in my personal collection. Coincidentally, David Geffen just sold Pollack's 1948 No. 5 to a Mexican financier named David Martinez for a record-breaking $140 million.



The picture above is how the New York Times displayed the painting, although I've never seen a huge Pollack displayed vertically, like this. I wouldn't be surprised if it's supposed to be horizontal.

UPDATE, January 25, 2007: Okay, I've had enough of seeing it vertical. I'm quite sure the painting should look like this:



Pollack is an acquired taste, but once he grabs hold of you his greatest works don't let go easily. I'm not normally envious of super-wealth, but this is one 4' x 8' painting I'd like to have on my wall.

2 comments:

Tom Frank said...

I'm a huge Jackson Pollack fan as well. His work inspired a splatter painted white tux jacket I made years ago.

PeaceLove said...

Pollack was the Man. Didn't you used to wear that jacket to the Castle?